Body found under debris on Saturday, agent confirms
Newcastle pay tribute to ‘talented player and special person’
ANKARA – The Ghanaian and former Premier League footballer Christian Atsu Twasam has been found dead under the earthquake rubble in Turkey, his agent has said.
Atsu, 31, who played for Newcastle United and Everton, was falsely reported as having been taken to hospital last week.
He had been missing since the earthquakes hit Turkey and Syria on February 6 – killing over 25,000 people.
Nana Sechere tweeted:
“It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to announce to all well-wishers that sadly – Christian Atsu’s body was recovered this morning. My deepest condolences go to his family and loved ones.
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their prayers and support.
“I ask that whilst we make the necessary arrangements, that everyone would please respect the privacy of the family during this very difficult time.”
Newcastle paid tribute to their former player on Twitter:
“We are profoundly saddened to learn that Christian Atsu has tragically lost his life in Turkey’s devastating earthquakes. A talented player and a special person, he will always be fondly remembered by our players, staff and supporters. Rest in peace, Christian.”
In a statement, Everton said:
“We are deeply saddened by today’s news that Christian Atsu has been found dead following the earthquake in Turkey earlier this month. Our thoughts are with his family, friends, colleagues at Hatayspor and everyone affected by this tragic event that has claimed so many lives.”
Atsu last played for Turkish Super League side Hatayspor – primarily as a winger, although he would at times be deployed as an attacking midfielder.